Blog Business, Economy and Finance in Vancouver BC
Hands on Guide to Create Perfect Product Roadmap
No matter how wonderful a product you have, the success of it depends upon the way you manage it. This is the reason that you need a product roadmap prepared. However, creating the perfect roadmap is not an easy job and requires continuous planning and communication within the team. Here are a few points that a Product Manager needs to remember while creating a product roadmap.
- Begin with the goal. The ultimate goal needs to be determined first for any product. This will help create a bull’s eye and the entire roadmap will be devised to reach that goal taking any number of steps and implementing every possible strategy. If you visualize the roadmap as concentric circles, the goal should be at the center with various strategies and steps forming the outer circles leading up to the center.
- Visual roadmap is the need of the hour. Gone are the days when people would pour over sheets of data and try to comprehend the information which is being provided. Visual representation is the way forward. It is easy to understand and modify. Using visual roadmap is the best way to put forward the proposal for product development and the steps to achieve the final goal. There is visual product roadmap creating software available which allows excellent and attractive roadmap creation. In case you are pitching your idea in front of a panel of investors, there is nothing more attractive and compelling than a visual representation of the product roadmap.
- Product roadmap must be customizable. Business is a volatile world. It can change at any point of time. Depending upon the changing scenario, in order to ensure achievement of final goal, it is important to have a plan which can be modified as and when needed. Thus, an agile roadmap is the perfect way to ensure that the product is marketed and managed in the perfect way. Without aggressive and agile strategies, there are times when even a winning product might fail in the competition.
- Create a roadmap which is quantifiable. Without quantification of the steps it is impossible to know how the strategy is faring in the real world. Short term targets will help achieve the end goal. There should be short term targets set with time limit associated to each one of them. Unless you stick to a quantifiable structure yon will never be able to make much head on progress as compared to your competitors in the market.
- Determine the unique selling points for your product. This will help create the overall strategy at every point in the future. Even when dealing with an agile product roadmap, having the USP marked guides during creation of alternate strategies.
- Share the roadmap with the team. Never be the only person to decide how to go ahead. Some ideas from others will certainly help you pull out a winning strategy.
Visual agile product roadmap creating software will be a good investment for any organization and will allow the Product Manager to perfect the product strategy.